Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Things I Learned From My Mother


Laugh often and when you do, don't hold back with girlish giggling or chuckling under your breath. Laugh loud, heartily, and with your whole body.

Standing up does not require walking out. Strength and beauty are revealed in what it takes for you to stay, more often than not.

Change is the responsibility of the one who needs it, and you should not twist yourself into knots in order to work around someone who won't.

If you got it, flaunt it.

Being true to yourself is always more important than doing what is popular. Real friends might be fewer that way, but they will be better in quality.

Whining is annoying and unattractive.

You are always capable of more than you think.

Power tools are fun.

Ask questions, always (although, teaching us to question everything probably backfired a little).

There are really only a select number of people that can tell you what to do, so don't take orders from just anyone.

Wine cannot solve any problems, but it does provide a temporary solution. Because some days need an ending with a glass of wine.

"Help" is not that kind of four letter word.

Independence is sexy.

When you do anything, do it right. On time, efficiently, and to the best of your ability.

Never apologize for being yourself, however free-spirited, sarcastic, opinionated, spontaneous, lacking in seriousness, or somewhat crazy that may be.

There's a reason cars have turning signals.

Trying something new, be it food, adventures, or relationships, always deserves a fair shot.

Just don't tell your father.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alexis, I loved this. And where have you been? What's doing on with London?! I want details!

Alexis said...

London in October, I gotta get working on the visa situation... ;)

For now I've been all over the place! Just busy busy and now sick on the couch...I'm better today than I have been all week though, so things are looking up! :)

B said...

Aww, this was awesome and made me smile all sorts of big!

Katelin said...

Aw this is so sweet, and I love the last part, don't tell your father, haha.

nicole antoinette said...

"Standing up does not require walking out."

This is one of the truest and most spectacularly worded things I've ever read.

Your mom is one smart lady.

courtney said...

Simply lovely.

Also: Adorable photo. Wow.

Marjie said...

"When you do anything, do it right. On time, efficiently, and to the best of your ability."

Something I always go by ;)

Becka Robinson said...

Being true to yourself is always more important than doing what is popular. Real friends might be fewer that way, but they will be better in quality.

Love it. And U.

Love and effexor,
B

Anonymous said...

Love this post.

*As I dial my Mom to tell her I love her!*

Becka Robinson said...

ps...in this photo your mom looks just like you do! like, at first i thought it was a photo of you holding a child. :)

alana said...

this has made me miss my own mum even more...