Saturday, March 8, 2008

Friday Night

It's been raining quite a bit here in the Sunshine State. That's actually fine by me, as I happen to love the rain (especially here where it's not the cold, biting rain, but just kind of chilly rain that feels good between the hot days).

Last night was rainy and the roads were wet, and I had to be on them. Usually, my favourite thing about rainy days is staying in, taking a nap if it's during the afternoon, or getting the best kind of sleep at night. But I was babysitting for my boss and was forced to brave the weather.

As I took a curve underneath an overpass I notice some cop cars under it and slowed down a bit, as I realized my speed might not be the best under the wet circumstances. A little nervous as I thought maybe they caught me going too fast. Sure enough, they pulled onto the road right after I passed, and I started muttering "Oh crap, please don't pull me over, please don't pull me over..."

But then the lights came on right behind me and I won't pretend that what I said wasn't worse than "crap."

The officer came over and asked for the license, registration, and insurance (How lucky was it that my dad had just handed me the new registration that morning before I left for work? True.). He then helped me find the insurance card, as I had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for. Seriously, I barely remember the one and only other time I've been pulled over and so I couldn't remember what I was supposed to give him. So he watched me fumble a bit and gave him the right insurance stuff that was right where it was supposed to be with the manual.

Then he asked if I knew why he'd pulled me over.

"I was speeding...?" In the kind of helpless, meek, I-don't-come-here-often, type of voice because I was pretty panicky on the inside.

"You were going about 70 in a 55."

I give him the, "HolycrapI'msosorryIdidn'trealize" eyes, kind of stammer, "I didn't...I must not have been paying attention...I..."

"The highway slows down from 65 to 55, do you travel on this highway regularly?"

"I don't really ever come down this far..."

"Where are you headed?"

"I'm supposed to babysit, near _______"

"When was the last time you got pulled over?"

Sincerely wracking my brain, because it has been a long time, "Um...like...a year or two ago...?"

Then I waited nervously as he went back to the squad car to determine my fate, knowing I was going to die if I got a ticket. But, I thought, he practically handed me my excuse (even though I wasn't lying when I answered his questions, it was all true)...maybe I'll just get a warning. But, I thought, I was going way over the speed limit there and maybe he's not allowed to just give me a warning if I'm going that fast.

He came back and asked me who was in the military. I told him how my mom was retired Air Force, and he told me he was giving me a warning. I was so relieved, I thanked him. He asked me to be more careful as the roads were wet and you know, bad things could happen.

And then I was so thrown off guard I forgot to use my turning signal when pulling back onto the road.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not drunk, I wanna go home, officer
It's been a long road and I feel awful
I'm not drunk, I wanna go home, officer
And that's all, that's all, that's all

With a warning I check my wipers and defog
I notice my mind is on the floor
But I must move onward

So I pick a song and I sing along
While lofty dreams dance on and on
Over a place I'll live forever

I'm not drunk, I wanna go home, officer...
-- Kate Earl, "Officer"

6 comments:

Kerri W. said...

What a funny story. Well, probably not funny for you, but funny to read about. :) I hate that awkward nervous feeling when you are trying to figure out the exact words that will save you from a ticket. I have only been pulled over once, and I was petrified. I'm lucky I live in California, where going at LEAST 10 over the speedlimit is almost encouraged.

Seriously.

Oh, and I love how you always put a quote or lyrics after your entry. It really ties everything together quite nicely. :)

courtney said...

I got pulled over one night on the way to see a friend on a neighboring campus, and was actually about TWENTY FEET from campus when the cop caught me doing about 10 over the limit.

I had JUST put a new insurance card in my glove compartment. and wouldn't you know, I couldn't find it.

Top it all off: I was in a HUGE hurry.

The cop didn't even end up giving me a warning. When he asked if I knew how fast I was going, I told him exactly what I thought he clocked me at. I didn't really give him an act, I was just honest, pleasant, and didn't try the sucking up thing. They like that. He came back to my window to hand me my license and said, "Slow down, please!" and I said, "ok!" and drove off.

Crazy.
I think I have good cop karma or something.

Katelin said...

That is definitely some good karma you got going on there, very lucky.

Anonymous said...

These are never the cops who stop me. If I get pulled over, there will be a ticket. Maybe I just look like I need a ticket. Maybe I look like the last teacher that really humiliated them. Do they run a credit check and see if you can actually pay the thing? Maybe that's what happens in the squad car...

Anonymous said...

I am currently driving without an update registration or insurance card. The puppy dog eyes usually work. You must have done really well. I hate that feeling seeing those lights in the rearview. It is the worst!

So glad you got off without a ticket!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Aww hahah I swear getting pulled over is the most terrifying thing EVER, and Im pretty good at sweet talking out of things but I alway choke up. and cry instead.