Monday, March 3, 2008

Who says you need to know how to count?

Because of poor planning on my part, I haven't actually done a good job of numbering my 100 things posts. So the numbers didn't add up right because I wasn't keeping track very well. To correct this, I've started adding them to another document so I can see them all laid out (I'm a bit visual, so that helps me) and now I have them corrected. But I ended up with one extra, I guess I did eleven one post where the plan was to do ten every time. To even it out I'm going to do nine this time and then proceed from there.

Ironically, one of the things on that list is how I never even tried to learn things related to math in school...

Here we go, numbers 62-70:

62. I failed Chemistry twice in high school, and I really tried to understand it. Did. Not. Get. It. I felt like they just explained it the same way every time and I was all, "Dude, I am not understanding this and I need you to find a way to speak to me..." But they didn't, so I failed. Both times. When I had to take it in college I signed up for an on-line course and my brother basically did it for me. I got a B.
63. I have been called a tease on many occasions. I am always really surprised when this happens.
64. I'm a musical freak. I love them. I could sing you the whole Rent and Wicked soundtracks and do well with many others. Note that my favourites are those with Idina Menzel originating roles (Maureen and Elphaba, respectively) because, seriously, I adore her. She's amazing. I was that kid that sang and danced along to every movie and soundtrack (and still am, actually).
65. I really can't stand when you leave someone a message and they don't even acknowledge that they received it. It's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. I had to explain this to a friend recently in a "Hey, I know you're busy, I'm just lettin' you know that if I get snarky with you about you not calling me back, that's why..." kind of way. I think those were close to my exact words. Because, seriously, it's so rude.
66. I was also raised with the understanding that trying to talk to someone who is on the phone with someone else is pretty much an unwritten deadly sin. Apparently, not a lot of other people know this.
67. I don't like skinny guys. I mean really, why would I want to be with you if you make me look fat by comparison? Ok, so I'm not that shallow, I just really like strong, comfy shoulders and not little, pointy ones.
68. I have only had one actual boyfriend and he didn't come along until I was twenty. I had dated before, but the Ex was the only one that took me on quasi long term. We don't talk anymore.
69. My nails grow really fast and it irritates me because I like them short and hate taking the time to sit down and clip/file them down.
70. I avoid bookstores because I know there isn't a chance I won't spend money if I go in them. It's one of those love/hate things. I have a huge stack of stuff to read and have no business adding to it, but there are so many more books that I need to own. I can usually justify buying a poetry book because it's not like I sit down and read through them the way I do a novel, hence needing to avoid the bookstore.

Ok, this section of the list was a little hurried. But I've been wanting to start posting regularly again and also get this list finished, so there you go.

I love you all, really, I do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand for the power to change,
I live for the perfect day,
I love 'til it hurts like crazy,
I hope for a hero to save me.
I stand for the strange and lonely,
I believe there's a better place,
I don't know if the sky is heaven,
but I pray anyway..."
-- Idina Menzel, "I Stand"
P.S. Look up Idina. She's married to Taye Diggs and if I had idols, she's be number one.

9 comments:

Jess said...

1. I get called a tease all the time. My nickname in high school was jailbait.

2. I took a dance class with Taye Diggs, in the hopes that Idina would show. He's pretty cool, but he's cooler because he's married to her.

3. Hi! Welcome back. :)

courtney said...

I *heart* Idina.
And Taye too. How perfect.
Sigh.

Becka Robinson said...

I. Am. So. Excited. About. WICKED!

Alexis said...

DS: 1. I've never gotten a nickname out of it...darn.
2. I am pretty jealous about that... ;)
3. Thanks! :)

Courtney: I know... :)

Miss: Me. Freakin'. Too. Did I tell you how good our seats are? SO good. :)

Anonymous said...

You totally had me at Wicked and Rent? When people ask the inevitable, "If you could be one person for one day who would it be?" question it is always Idina. Hello? Be in Rent and Wicked and get to go home to Taye, it could not get any better than that!

I also love you for understanding that it is totally rude to not acknowledge a voice mail. Jerks.

Please tell me how Wicked was!

Katelin said...

I barely passed Chemistry, my god I hate science.

And I loooove Wicked and Rent and Idina, she is freaking fabulous. I want to be her friend.

Dana said...

There were a few things in this post that I relate to.

1. Believe it or not, I remember getting called a tease back in my day. I guess I'm too old for that now. I don't think I actually was. I think people are too presumptuous if they think that someone wants to jump into bed with them just because they're friendly. That's their problem, not mine.

2. The phone thing drives me nuts. You probably won't run into this until you have kids but also ranking high on my list of pet peeves is when someone calls me and then proceeds to yell at their kids the whole time they are on the phone. Maybe why I prefer communicating over the internet.

3. I don't like skinny guys either. And, I probably am shallow enough to say that I wouldn't want to feel like I'm bigger than my guy:).

4. I love you, I really do!

Daddy Dan said...

People trying to talk to me while I'm on the phone is a definite pet peeve of mine. It happens to me all the time at work. It's just the rudeness and ego of people thinking that what they have to say is more important than the conversation I'm having on the phone.

I'm with you on the whole chemistry thing too.

Anonymous said...

My "books to read" box is HUGE and I cannot stop purchasing more!!! It's a horrible addiction. I have a giant amazon wish list and anytime I need something like say, a curling iron, I use it as an excuse to buy more to get the super saver free shipping!