Saturday, December 1, 2007

Christmas spirit is here

Right here. Right now.

I was having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year. Usually as soon as the decorations and wrapping papers and bows start popping up in the Target aisles I get so excited and will just linger among them for as long as possible. But this year, I wasn't feeling it as much and was holding out hope that once we started decorating, or put up the tree, or I started baking holiday cupcakes for everyone, I would just start bursting with carols and good cheer.

Or, I thought, something magical would happen and I would wake up, float out of bed, and be dancing the Nutcracker Suite on December first. That didn't happen, but once I got over being upset since I didn't get to sleep in and my mom and I starting pulling out boxes to decorate I was getting into it.

We got out the fake tree and put it together, it's one of the ones with lights already on it. Plugged it all in and the top half wouldn't light up. I stood there for twenty minutes or so going through each little light trying to figure out what was wrong, grumbling the whole time that we should just got get a real tree because fake trees are the bane of Christmas. I've been complaining about the fake tree ever since the first year we defaulted to one. I've been begging to go get a real tree for approximately seven years (maybe more? I've lost count).

Guess what? Right now, in our sitting room there is a REAL TREE! It's soft and full and smells so good. I was hopping around Lowe's and the guy helping us with it laughed at me. We got it home and little ol' me grabbed it and brought it into the house all by myself. There are even two little real pine cones on the REAL TREE.

And now, I am very much feeling that Christmas spirit. I love Christmas trees. I love Christmas.

Note: I would have pictures but I seem to have misplaced the cord for my camera, sorry.

9 comments:

Becka Robinson said...

I refuse to have any tree that isn't real. I love them too much! It's one of my favorite things about Christmas!

nicole antoinette said...

Yay Christmas! I'm totally in the mood to bake holiday cupcakes now. (Not that I ever need an excuse to bake, haha).

Jamie Lovely said...

I've never had a real tree :(

Right now a fake, pre lit tree is up in my living room. It is very unfortunate.

Kerri W. said...

Ahhh! A real tree! Sounds divine. Reminds me of being little. We didn't get a fake tree until I was in my teens, and that was only because we were one of those crazy families who likes to put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving, and it was difficult to find a "real" tree that would last that long.

Heehee.

And I'm still waiting to truly get into the Christmas spirit. I've been worrying about too many things lately. Boooo...

courtney said...

i'm jealous of your real tree. i've never had a real tree:(

Anonymous said...

i'm totally making my boyfriend read this post since he is still a bit resistant to the idea of getting a REAL (real!) christmas tree for our apartment.

we always had the fake trees growing up so it's obvious that as a pseudo-adult, i just want to do what i want to do.

hope you find your camera's cord soon bc i want pics!

Katelin said...

Yay for feeling Christmassy. I wasn't really into it yet either until this weekend when I helped decorate the house. No tree yet, but woo for getting a real one :)

Anonymous said...

Not to burst your yuletide bubble, but someone has to vacuum those needles out of the RAV4. I'll sing a carol for you while you do it.

Larissa said...

I am so happy that you converted to a real tree, and are feeling the Christmas mood!

And real pine cones on the tree? Very cool!