Tuesday, December 4, 2007

hack hack cough...augh...

I woke up this morning and thought I might be dying.

Alright, alright, that's a bit over dramatic. But I did (and do) feel awful, what with the swollen feeling in the very bottom of my throat and pressure in my chest, the scratchy throat (above the swollen feeling part) and the painfully dry cough reaching all the way from the bottom of my lungs.

Yeah, yuck, right?

So I called the substitute to see if she could work for me today and naturally she was already going in for someone else. Because why would we get sick at different times? That would make things too easy. Then I called the other girl that works in the daycare on the days I don't and was able to leave a pathetic sounding, "Wanted to see if you could go in today..." kind of voice mail. Now, since I couldn't get someone to go in for me I felt in would be irresponsible to just not show up, so I put myself together and headed off to the school hoping they would send me home.

They did and I am so grateful. I stayed for a little bit while they got everything straightened out and felt like a very bad caregiver indeed. Poor kids, I wasn't exactly being very nurturing but they only had to put up with me for about an hour and then one of the teachers came in and took over for me. Oh, the relief!

Now I am trying to continually remind myself why I am at home today: I need rest to get over this yuckiness. I keep thinking of all these little things I could get done with my "day off." However, the sensible, body-knows-what-it-needs side is doing a really good job of telling the busy, so-much-to-do-so-little-time side to keep its butt in this recliner and get better. I think it's doing such a good job because it's had plenty of practice. My body always reacts with the upper respiratory junk when I don't let it rest properly or get all stressed out. It happened so often in college I thought I might have TB. Ok, not really...but I did stop bothering to go to the doctor because I had the "diagnosis" and treatment memorized.

Blog quality will go up soon, promise.

8 comments:

courtney said...

yuck:( i'm sorry! i got sick a few weeks ago and even though i *feel* better now, i still don't completely have my voice back and that freaking kills me!

hope you get better soon!

nicole antoinette said...

I'm DYING/sick too. Ugh. My throat is like torturing me. I'm pretty sure I have tonsillitis.

Why does this always happen as the seasons change? Bleck.

*Feel Better*

Katelin said...

Ah man everyone is getting sick it seems like, feel better! And enjoy the day at home.

Alexis said...

Courtney: Yeah, I really hate losing my voice because singing's my favourite! I hope you get yours back 100% really soon! :(

Nicole: I know, and our seasons don't even change all that noticeably...mine's probably a lot of stress too. I'm hoping it's not too serious because I don't have insurance...bleh! Hope you feel better soon too!

Katelin: Yup, it seems that it's not just me! :( Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i hope you feel better! um, is it weird that i like when i get the scratchy hoarse voice when sick? ugh, my vanity.

i too am sick :( as it seems almost all us bloggie friends are?? um, i think this is when i'm supposed to insert some "virus" joke but i can't. it'd be too lame.

you're such a good samaritan (too lazy to correct that spelling if it's wrong which i think it is) for going in even when you felt so sick and see what happens to the good people? you get treated with getting to go home early :)

feeel betterrrz.
(in case you can't tell, i'm high on meds)

Alexis said...

DS: Yeah, yesterday I was all "Hey, my voice is doing that sexy thing like when Phoebe got sick on "Friends" and like her voice so much she kept trying to stay sick. I kept singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" because it sounded so cool! Guess I'm paying for it...

EmK. said...

i don't know you, but you're amazing.
thank god for you and your red shoes.
i am the lukiest person to have found you!

Jamie Lovely said...

I hope you are feeling better. I've been quite miserable with a cold. I know how it is working with children when you aren't feeling so hot too, I'm a nanny. Get better!