Sunday, December 23, 2007

To Whom It May Concern

Dear Johnny Depp,

I have long been an admirer of your work. It has actually been a goal of mine for quite a while to own all of your movies and have a "Depp section" on my movie shelf (or shelves). I think it is safe to say that you are a master of your art.

Tonight I got to see Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and fell in love with your talent all over again. I feel that this is a pattern with your movies (although, I must admit the Pirates sequels disappointed me a little bit). Your performance was awesome and I have decided that I must express my gratitude. Thank you for putting so much into your work, this most recent adaptation is prime example that cinema would not be the same if it were not for such dedication to making really good movies. And really good movies are important.

And yes, every time you work with Tim Burton something magical happens.

I would give so much to be able to work with you and learn from you. I'm pretty sure it would make my life. I'm sure you have a lot of girls coming at you all "You're so hot and I love you," but my angle is more of artistic appreciation. You're pretty much one of the greatest actors of our time, and all I would want is to be your student. Yes, that does sound a bit odd but I don't really care because it's how I feel.

You're also super-cool.

Sincerely,
Alexis


Dear Tim Burton,

Thanks for using Johnny Depp in your movies. The collaboration between the two of you, with the addition of the lovely Helena Bonham Carter, is unmatched. Also, congratulations on the new baby.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street was awesome, to say the least. I love how you managed to make the film campy, but masterfully artful. Which, is not necessarily a new aspect of your work. I wish I knew how you do it. I also wish I could find better words to express how great the Sweeney Todd experience was.

In the end, I suppose I could say that after seeing The Golden Compass, I really needed something to restore my faith in film. Sweeney Todd was the miracle cure I was looking for. I couldn't wait to see it and I didn't get my hopes up for nothing. It exceeded my expectations.

Thank you for your movie-cal gift.

Sincerely,
Alexis
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lift your razor high!
Sweeney!
Hear it singing!
Yes!
Stick it in the rosy skin of righteousness!
His voice was soft, his manner mild,
He seldom laughed, but he often smiled,
He'd seen how civilised men behaved,
He never forgot, and he never forgave.
Not Sweeney...
Not Sweeney Todd...
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street!

4 comments:

courtney said...

Dear Danny Elfman,

I was sorry to hear that for only the second time in Tim Burton's majestic film career, you would not be collaborating with him on his latest film, Sweeney Todd. While the reasons are obvious, slight disappointment still sets in when I think of seeing a Burton film without your magical touch. Rest assured the public has not forgotten about you, and we anxiously await your next whimsical Burton contribution.

Love,
Courtney

Dear Alexis,
You have wonderful taste. And I totally agree with you about Johnny Depp. Who cares if he's "oooh hot! pretty! yay!"? The man can ACT and is not afraid to push his own boundaries. To that, I say hurrah! I also agree about Tim Burton. How does he do it?!

Love,
Courtney

nicole antoinette said...

Hehe, these letters are great. This movie is definitely on my "to see list" over the next week! Even more so now that you've endorsed it so heavily!

Anonymous said...

haha! great letters. and thanks for thinking of writing to danny elfman too, courtney. i love his music! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, but in Golden Compass the one polar bear bitchslaps the other polar bear... I'm just saying. I paid to see that movie just for that moment.