Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The 11th of September

I have been lagging in my attempts to post consistently...I will try to do better.

Today is September 11th, flags are raised only half-way, organized moments of silence are prevalent, and everyone is sharing stories of the heroes, the ones that were lost, and where they were that day.

I am not usually a patriotic person, I am fairly apathetic towards America on a daily basis. But in 2001, when the towers fell I was genuinely proud of this country. I remember how our president (who I don't generally agree with) showed great character and took a stand. I was amazed to see Americans everywhere rallying around one city and those that lost so much. I loved that no one around me took on a "run and hide" attitude, they all stood together. People that usually fight over everything stuck together over this one thing. It was like one event brought a huge country of extremely diverse people and for the first time in a long time made them remember that we are all connected. So when we remember now we don't just think back on the people who suffered and lost their lives with sadness, but with pride. And if I am patriotic just one day out of 365, I have no shame saying that this is it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History is important.

No comments: