Wednesday, September 26, 2007

ruby slippers


Meet my newest pair of red shoes. My friends can tell you that I've been wearing them quite a bit. I broke my pinky toe and haven't been able to wear heels, so these little flats have been perfect.

I don't know what it is about red shoes, but they are some kind of addiction to me. Every time I see a pair there is an inner debate about whether or not to snatch them up and run to the check out counter right away. I think I inherited this weakness from my mother (who usually encourages the buy them right away option), and possibly from watching a certain little girl wander through Oz in a pair of ruby slippers.

On my graduation day I wore red heels, fantastic patent-leather open-toed sling backs. Every other person wore black shoes of some kind. In a sea of black, my red shoes made quite the statement. Being on the front row, I got several comments on them from the line-up of professors on stage (along with others that just happened to notice them). This Sunday at church I spent a good amount of my time staring down the most amazing pair of red wedges and trying not to covet. I think I've worn the black pair of these same flats I bought a total of one time...

Perhaps they are the perfect compliment to a personality that is strong and vivid. My red shoes make me feel bolder than usual (not that most people would say I'm not without them), more confident even. They make any outfit that starts off a little mundane or boring exciting and fun. They are the great pop of color that makes me look down and smile.

I'm probably a sucker for most red accessories, but nothing will ever be as fabulous as a good pair of red shoes. Now click your heels together three times and repeat after me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If everything else is wrong in the world, the red shoes are always perfect.

Becka Robinson said...

there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home