Monday, September 24, 2007

the Back to School Curse


My mom is a sixth grade Language Arts teacher. Last year she was preparing her classroom/portable for the beginning of school, fell off of a chair and broke her foot. Now we're a little further into back to school season, this year, and we've had another accident. My mom was painting in what was my brother's room and I heard a crash...she fell off the ladder. I found her covered in paint, laying in paint, shocked and in pain. That big patch of paint on the wall was a big gloopy paint splatter...but my dad grabbed a paint brush so it wouldn't dry that way. So, my mom's knee appears to be severely messed up (as in, I-want-to-throw-up-I'm-in-so-much-pain kind of messed up). I sit here awaiting news from the E.R. where my dad has taken her.

Interestingly enough, I brought my mom paint-free clothes to change into to go to the hospital. All relatively cute and nice. If it were me, my make-up would get touched up and my clothes changed to look "presentable," I've done it before. My mom left in a pair of old flannel pajama pants and a slightly over-sized t-shirt...sans make-up. Maybe it's a generational thing...or just because after awhile you decide that it's not important.

If you're painting this week, be careful.

No comments: