Monday, January 21, 2008

Bound to happen

Politics are in the air, it's a bittersweet scent of supposed democracy, sweat, blood, tears, and crest toothpaste plus whitening.

I don't like debating politics. People don't actually debate, they fight for their opinion to be heard over everyone else's. And I'm just not a fan of people raising their voice at me, because apparently it's well known in certain circles that if you just start shouting your opponent will suddenly have a change of heart and see it your way.

Personally, when people have started getting upset with me or begin hitting higher decibels it's seems to be because they've made some assumption based on what they know about me. They think that because they know the things they do, they can predict my stance on a subject. And if I have anything in common with them at all that usually influences their opinion, I will naturally agree with them on most everything else. Having gone to a conservative Christian university, it happened a lot.

Now, I am really happy with the education I got. I wouldn't have accomplished so much of what I did if I hadn't been there learning from and interacting with the amazing professors that I did in the major-specific classes I took. They knew what they were talking about and I gleaned so much from what they put into their curriculum. But, when ninety percent of the student body, and much of the administration is of one mind, people are going to assume that you sway with the majority just because you are a Christian at a Christian school.

And I am a Christian, just not always the one they (they being the guys sitting on committees deciding what was best for the school and the people deciding who was popular, not always the most aware of what was really going on beyond their agreeable crowd) wanted me to be. I wasn't necessarily glued to the denomination they wanted me to be. I didn't (and don't) have a problem with instrumental worship or ladies saying prayers (all of which is another story for another time, as they aren't a big deal).

I'm also not a Republican.

But, that doesn't automatically make me a Democrat either (because I'm not).

Obviously, this could cause a nice bit of confusion for the average student at my school, among others.

May I say, that it swings both ways. People on both sides of the pond want me to agree with them fully and it's probably not going to happen. I'm moderate...with a little lean to the left.

The big shockers? My thoughts on gay marriage and abortion. It's true, I have thoughts and some of them are about these "problems." At risk of being ripped a part, agreed with, spat on, patted on the head, or whatever...here's how I see it:

Gay marriage is none of my business. True. That's between the two people wanting to commit themselves to each other forever. Whatever I may think about it from a moral standpoint (being the morals I have set for myself using the guidance I find in my God's word) doesn't actually matter at all when the person(s) in question don't share my views.

Abortion is a tough one. Again, I feel that it's not the place of the state or myself to make that decision for any woman. I, personally, could never do it and believe that it would be very wrong. But another woman might look at it and say different. Another woman might feel backed into a corner with no other option. This issue gets terribly hard to keep in a black and white/right and wrong context when you throw in the proverbial "What if it's lose the mother or lose the baby" problem. It's up to the mother if she wants to die or let her child go.

What these types of things come down to for me is the fact that I have submitted myself to the law under the God that I believe and have faith in. I cannot expect someone who has not submitted themselves to that law to live by it. No, I won't "agree" with what the person is doing with their life, but it is not my place to judge and I will live my life the way I see fit and allow them to do the same. I firmly believe that when people want the government to hold everybody to one particular doctrine we run into problems. Our government being one that called for separation of church and state (perhaps you've heard of it?), it is a two way street. The government agrees not to interfere with the church(es) and the church(es) were not intended to interfere with the government.

And I have had some fabulous gay friends that put some of my Christian friends to shame in how they acted in love and respect, being servants to people. But, that's not really what I'm getting at here.

I'm a bit nervous about posting this, as I'm not sure I've really made myself understood. My brain's been a bit fuzzy the past few weeks as I've had so much going on and haven't been sleeping well. All of these things have been coming up in conversation a lot lately for me and I am pretty passionate about being respectful to all people and their lives. I could say so much more, go into so much more detail...but I won't drive it into the ground.

That's what I think.

7 comments:

courtney said...

I think you have spoken clearly and with intelligence.

I could just be biased though, because I agree with nearly everything you said. And even the one point I'm not sure I completely agree with is close enough.

Alexis said...

Well at least I'm making sense to someone! ;)

Anonymous said...

You make sense to me. The bottom line is that you think for yourself. You owe no one an explaination for that.

B said...

I'm pretty sick of the political hogwash myself.

nicole antoinette said...

Thank you for writing something that is emotionally charged and yet at the same time, eloquent and well thought out. Your opinions are your opinions, and they're very well stated!

Oh, and I agree about the yelling. People who need to yell to get their point across don't have a strong enough point to quietly let it speak for itself.

Anonymous said...

You said that better than I ever could have.

I love reading your blog.

-Jay

Katelin said...

Love it.