Sunday, January 6, 2008

London calling

I've decided this is what I'm going to do. It's in that stage where it's mostly an idea that is forming a plan, as I can't call it an actual plan since I haven't actually gotten in to any schools but have a couple to apply to. It's at the point though, that I have made up my mind to follow through and make the plan and move to London and go to school and be the cool one who moved to London to study something she's passionate about.

I'm also getting ahead of myself a bit. You know when you first get the inkling to do something, and then you are sure it's what you want to do, how you get that kind of excitement where you start thinking of all the things that really could wait until later? Wait until all the other stuff gets sorted out, because you can't actually take care of these things until those things get taken care of?

For example, here's what I have started jumping forward to:
What kind of roommates will I have? Can I kind of ask to be put with others closer to my age? What kind of job will I get, 'cause I can't not have a job if I'm going over there a girl's gotta eat? Where am I going to go to church? I wonder what the best restaurants for my vegan ways will be. (Note: Already started perusing happycow.com) Will one of them turn into that place you can find me for lunch almost every day? Should I go ahead and get those tickets to see David Tennant with the Royal Shakespeare Company? I guess I'll be able to see him in whichever play I want to, do I want to see Hamlet or Love's Labour's Lost more? What should I take with me and what should I just wait and get there? Dang it...I won't be able to take all my books...or DVDs...thank goodness for the iPod situation or I'd be freaking about the CD issue.

Mingle all that in with the really practical stuff about getting the applications finished, getting a portfolio put together, finding my passport (probably getting that renewed) and applying for a visa, plane tickets, adding more loans to my not-tiny amount, and all that adds up for a lot of excitement in my brain. It's like a party in here.

And you know what? I'm not all that scared about it. Not all that worried. Eager and excited and hoping it all works out, yes. Because it's all coming together. I have something to work towards, a big tangible thing that makes sense.

I mean, plus, I really want to go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who followed that impulse to Berkeley from NYC, I say at least have a job and a place to live/stay for a month lined up. It takes about a month to find a decent apartment, and it'll be hell looking for a job and an apartment at the same time. If you're going to go to school there, sweet, but keep in mind, the British economy is not favorable to Americans.

I'd be happy to talk more to you about this - I was thinking of going to London too. :)

nicole antoinette said...

Oooo this is SO exciting! I lived in London for 6 years and am a little nomadic (like distracted spunk) and would love to help you. Might I immediately recommend Craigslist?? It has been an absolute lifesaver for me in all job/apartment situations.

Can I come visit you there? I haven't been back in SO LONG!

courtney said...

incredibly exciting! i love followed dreams.

Alexis said...

Thankfully, the schools I've been looking into have housing and will help me get a job while I'm there. So that is helpful, especially for them to help me find a job that applies to the degree and get experience...blah blah blah. And they are heavy on an experience-based program, which is really good.

And you guys can come visit me and hang out with me as much as you want, that would be too cool. Seriously, I will probably take more and more advantage of you combined experiences.

Yay!

B said...

Good luck with that!!! Awesome that you're following a dream. So many people don't.

Katelin said...

Oh man that sounds so exciting. Good luck working everything out, London would be amazing.

Anonymous said...

way cool! i love london and am envious, though that is not my path. :)