Monday, October 15, 2007

add it all up

We've all heard it said before that it's the little things that make a difference. All those little things added together, all those "little people" working together, all those little actions combined can create something much bigger than the one little thing that started it.

So make a few little changes, it can't be that hard. Don't run the water while you brush your teeth. Use products that are recycled material. Have reusable bags for getting groceries. Sort out those things for recycling and take them where they need to go. Even better, reuse things others might throw out for special projects, get crafty! Carpool, be gentle on your brakes/gas pedal, and don't drive when it's not necessary. Use soaps and other things of that nature that are safe and biodegradable (they even smell better).

There are so many little things that we can do day-to-day that make a little difference. But all the little differences add up to one big one! I love the treehugger site, they have so many guides for doing all those things and living greener.

And if you need inspiration to do these things, I highly recommend getting out there. Stop and smell the roses, man. Take a little time, even if you're just walking down the road looking at well-manicured lawns and perfectly trimmed trees, and admire all the plants and little creatures you see. Pay attention, because all of it is part of your environment and you don't have to live in the woods to appreciate it. My mom planted this little hibiscus tree outside my window a while back and now it practically blocks the whole window, it's getting very high. It makes me smile whenever I look out at it. Some because my mom did that for me, and some because it's this beautiful natural thing that makes my environment brighter. If recycling a little means more hibiscus down the road than I'm all for it.

No comments: