Saturday, October 13, 2007

first attempts

It's recipe Friday! Ok...so it's actually Saturday and I just didn't do the post yesterday after I already had the two other ones. But, from now on because I'm starting to try and convert a lot of my favourite things to vegan counterparts I'm going to post a recipe I tried out on Friday.

This time around it was my favourite peanut butter brownies. Always one of my favourite recipes because I don't actually care for chocolate that much, but I lovelovelove peanut butter.

So here's what I did:

2 eggs worth of Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 cup granulated sugar (organic, unbleached, etc.)
1/2 cup brown sugar (same rules)
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped peanuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees, and have a 9 inch square pan ready. Beat well the egg replacer, sugars, peanut butter, vanilla, and Earth Balance. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together and add it to the first mixture. Note: my batter was not sticking together when I did this so I added a little soy milk and it worked perfectly. Next time I would probably try using silken tofu or using soy milk instead of water with the egg replacer. The batter should be pretty thick. Spread the batter into your pan and sprinkle with the chopped peanuts. I didn't have the peanuts so I just didn't use them. Bake them for about thirty minutes, then let them cool for 10-15 minutes. Honestly, I don't usually let them cool that long because I love warm gooey things. Then you just cut them into squares. I guess if you don't like squares you can cut them into something else, mine were more rectangular...


Overall, they turned out really tasty. I suppose how many brownies you get depends on how small you cut them, but I usually get 12-16 I think. They are a very thin brownie usually and always nice and chewy. If you try it out, let me know what you do. I'm new at converting recipes, so any suggestions or helpful tips are welcome!

No comments: