Friday, October 5, 2007

Baby D.

This is my pal. I tell him he's my favourite, which isn't entirely true because most times I can't pick one. But lately, he's been the most fun as the others are getting all terrible two-sy or just plain sap all my energy with their incredible supply of it. And as the youngest, he's just starting to discover all the fascinating things around him and it is so incredibly adorable.

It's been exciting to watch you grow so much, D.

When I first started at the school he wasn't walking quite yet. He would manage to get up, take a few steps (I think I counted five once) and then plop back down and crawl to his desired destination. Then, one Monday morning, his mom came in and set him down and we watched him chase after her on two little bare feet. He also wasn't really talking, he made plenty of noise, but not necessarily attempts at words. Words are taking shape though, he's trying. And I can't pull out the dvd's without shouts of "Elmo!" When said Elmo show is on tv, he sees the babies and points, crying "baby! baby!" It's fantastic.

And don't think I haven't noticed that you've gotten taller.

He has the best sense of humour and is the most resilient child I have ever seen. When L. wiped out on the mat the other day (no harm done) D. literally pointed and laughed with his childish little giggle that sometimes surprises me. It surprises me because he acts like such a little man, the way he sits in the high chair among other poses, and I almost expect much deeper sounds to come out of him. And the resilience thing, he climbs right back onto anything he just tumbled off of. I watched him face plant off a slide (onto cushy, padded mat), but then he didn't want to be picked up, he got up, walked around to the stairs to get on and go down the slide again. He was crying the whole time. He's totally inherited his mom's laid-back personality.

You are hilarious and there is never a day I'm not laughing with you.

He brings me book, after book, and then the same book. He must sit in my lap to be read to, and that book must be read several times. Then he climbs all over me for a chance to push the big yellow button on the wall that I think used to be to open the door or something. It clicks when he relentlessly hits it and that seems to be wildly appealing. Then he makes me flip him upside down, bounce him up and down, and swing him around. When we escape our room for the playground he heads straight for the things that can be climbed on, then finds a spot he can jump down into my arms from. The most I can speculate is that this feels like flying. When we're done there we head for the swings. He loves to swing, and the higher the better. Again, this must be like flying.

D., I hope you are always as fearless as you are now. And the other day, when I kissed your cheek and you gave me the biggest hug you have ever given me using all four limbs it made me feel so lucky to be someone that gets to watch you explore and grow. Every time you come in the door and break out into that big grin when you see me I think it is going to be a great day. Thank you for all the wonderful things you've taught me. I wish such big things for you, I'm so glad you are who you are and your mom brings you to hang out with me. I love you.

Picture borrowed from Miss Mrs.

No comments: