Friday, October 12, 2007

vegan baby

I might not have mentioned that today is officially my first day as a vegan. It's my vegan birthday!

And what a good it has been.

First of all, I got to pay for stuff with my good looks. That's right, I did. I went to check out the gym I had been thinking about getting a membership at because it's convenient to where I work. The guy on staff showing me around was really helpful and when we sat down to look at prices, I got nervous. I wasn't ready to spend a bunch of money but I really did want to get a membership. I haven't been able to work out much because of how much time I spend in the car, so getting a place to go near my workplace would mean some better time management. Plus, paying for something is my best motivation. Last time I had a gym membership I went practically everyday because it was already PAID FOR. Best way to get me there, ever (once I'm there it's easy, I actually love to work out). Back to the membership, Greg (the guy helping me out) was trying to help me find a way to walk out paid for and ready to go today. We were already finding some good options when two of the trainers walked by and one offered me three free sessions if I got it today. Then, the other trainer threw in a free session in as well. That's four sessions with trainers, at no charge to me, in addition to the free one the first time you come in to work out. They were all really helpful and nice. I think it also points to a good reason you should ALWAYS look your best when you leave the house because you never know what glorious benefits you'll reap from lookin' all hot.

Then I went to Whole Foods to get a few things to replace the bad things at home, along with some veggies and fruit I wanted. I should point out this was my first-ever trip to Whole Foods. I know, I know, but let me explain why. It's really simple actually, there just hasn't ever been one a convenient distance from my place of residence. After today, I'm willing to sacrifice convenience because I could get the stuff I don't have access to in a lot of other places. I probably should have had a set list though, because I was a bit overwhelmed and trying to remember everything I needed was a bit difficult. So I was looking at flour and sugar when a guy asked if I was looking for a good pancake mix and recommended a good one. I wasn't looking for pancake mix but I will remember that because I love pancakes. The guy and I (I never caught his name) talked for a minute and he told me about Food not Bombs. They are a group that makes vegan food and takes it downtown to give to homeless people. How exciting is that? You may have already heard of it and I'm looking forward to looking into it more and getting involved. They get even more cool points for continuing to do their thing while fighting this new law that Orlando has passed against feeding people that are homeless. I don't think they are just here in Orlando, so look it up and see if you can get involved. Makes that one more reason to shop at Whole Foods, you meet cool and friendly people (I bumped into one or two others).

There ya go, two of the exciting things from my good day. Go experience stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how corny am i for getting so excited when i read about people starting their journey into veganism?! my year anniversary will be in march :) i can easily say, without a doubt, that becoming vegan was the single best decision i've ever made for myself. it's like a fog was lifted from the way i was living my life. i actually enjoy food again, and don't have a cloud of guilt every time i eat. your body may go into a whacko breakout, nauseated, headachey, crampy, gotta go #2 all the time phase, but that'll die down in a few weeks. it's just your body purging all the toxins and whatnot. if you have any questions or need any advise, please let me know!!!! oh yeah, and i have a great vegan pancake recipe a few posts back :) it has never disappointed!

ps- http://veganrepresent.com and vegweb.com have been the two best resources!

Alexis said...

I will most definitely have to check out that pancake recipe, they are one of my favourite things!

Thanks!