Friday, November 2, 2007

Break the spell...of the typical

I'm still all a flutter on a Mute Math high.

If you aren't familiar with them, I suggest you get yourself to their MySpace page quickly. Let me warn you, if you don't watch the videos or any live performances you will not fully appreciate all that makes them so fantastic. I got to see them about a year and a half ago (perhaps?) when I was in school in Montgomery and my friend called me and told me to come meet him in Birmingham because there was a band I needed to see. So I borrowed someone else's car and zipped on up there to become totally hooked by the antics I saw at Workplay. It was one of the most incredible shows I had ever seen in my life. And tonight they were here, in my city, playing approximately thirty minutes away and I had to work very hard to control my excitement. This show was bigger, House of Blues was packed. When I saw them at Workplay there was a smaller crowd (but still a good size with obvious fans). They came on tonight and went non-stop, and I was glad to know I hadn't just built them up in my head exaggerating the experience I'd had before. They were and are that awesome.

There is so much energy in the show. No one stays in one place for too long. The sound doesn't fit into a special little box, but you can hear all sorts of influences (The Police not being the least of these). I wish I could just see them live continually, just whenever I felt like it as if I were just heading out for a last minute night on the town. They are one of those must-see groups that you can't get out of your head, and you don't want it gone. It's music you can sink your teeth into.

I could just ramble on for awhile about how much I love them and how good they look as they do it (Paul Meany is hot, I can't help it), but I'll stop myself and go off to get some sleep with dreams filled with dramatic adventures involving music made from light.

P.S. I'll snag some of the photos Nate took on his iPhone and post them later.

No comments: