Thursday, November 22, 2007

give thanks, love all, serve all

Ah, Thanksgiving, the day everyone in States celebrates the day we took over the natives' land and eventually sent them packing to the less desirable parts of the nation.

Really, I'm not that person. It's actually a really nice holiday for a lot of people getting together with their families without all the pressure that comes with Christmas. It's not my personal favourite holiday, I just always got excited about the week off from school I got (unfortunately that's not the case this year, Thanksgiving week is a very normal one for me with work).

I know lot's of families have their nice little traditions, gathering around big bird carcasses (I just realized that sounds like I'm talking about the one from Sesame Street, but it's funny so I'm not changing it) and eating way too much food. And inevitably everyone gets asked leading up to the day, "What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" My response is fun, ready for it? I don't think you are but I'll tell you anyway, my family goes to the Hard Rock Cafe and enjoys what little stress is involved in not running around the kitchen all day. Oh yeah.

It started just last year when we asked ourselves the question, "What do we want to do for Thanksgiving?" Mom's answer, "I don't want to cook." So we all started thinking of a cool place we could go to eat Thanksgiving dinner and came up with a place that has food and music, Hard Rock. We went, had a great time, and as we were sitting there we decided that it must officially become tradition. I think it's the first year that there wasn't a lot of fighting (for the most part) or eye-rolling (ok, not so much with the eye-rolling, I mean, I was there).

And that's the story of Thanksgiving.

Hopefully I'll figure out how to be comfortably vegan at our meal this year, it might be a tad bit of a challenge. I think the only bad part will be obnoxiously asking the waitperson all kinds of questions about what's in stuff and possible substitutions. Next year, remind me to call ahead.

By the way, right now I'm watching the parade and getting a tad bit jealous of the coats and scarves. Who am I? Because that has never happened before. I'm kind of missing seasons right now, crazy.

Alright then, on to the thanks in Thanksgiving:

- As much as I wish there were a little more distance between us most of the time, I'm ever-so-grateful for my family. They're good people.
- My friends are awesome, wherever they happen to be residing right now. I love them and they mean the world to me. I'm so thankful for them because I know I wouldn't have made it through some stuff if God hadn't blessed me with such beautiful friendships.
- Arbonne, the products that make my life easier and the opportunities the business provides me. Hooray for healthy!
- Music, because really, what would my life be without it? Nothing, an empty shell.
- The babies at work. As much as I have to complain about and as stressful as it can be to deal with them three days a week (seriously, my boss, L.'s mommy asked me the other day as we were leaving, "Do you not go home and just drink?"), I do have a lot of fun with them. They are funny, sweet (when they want to be), and their hugs are the best kind.
- My voice. In most of the ways that can be interpreted.

And all the little stuff, I've got a lot to say "thanks" for!

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun at Hard Rock! That's so funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Hah! I posted a picture on my site of all the Sesame Street gathered around the table and Big Bird in the middle.

Alexis said...

I saw that Jamie after I posted this, how funny! :)