Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hey, everything's right, yeah, everything's right tonight...

I just got back from seeing Matt Wertz, Dave Barnes, and the Gabe Dixon band at the Social! Yes, that calls for the exclamation point.

I've loved Matt Wertz's music for a long time, and Dave Barnes' isn't too shabby either. The Gabe Dixon band was fantastic, I had heard of them but sometimes you have to see a group live to fully soak in their talent. The best part of the show was that the guys did a bunch of the old favourites, which is always a good call. It makes for that kind of show where everyone is all smiles and singing along with lots of energy. Wertz and Barnes are close friends so they did most of the show playing together and making jokes. It was a lot of fun and they were so funny.

I was really excited and went all by myself because I had never gotten to see Matt Wertz live before. I got right up front and could have touched him if I wanted to be that creepy kid. Several people I knew ended up being there though, so I had an even better time. I feel bad though because I was taking pictures of my friend with a couple of the artists and it did not go well. A bit of my finger was in one and the other was blurry from me not holding the camera steady. I suck at life...ok, I'm just sorry I messed up her pictures. A big highlight, however was when we met the guys after the show. One of my friends back in Alabama is also a big Wertz fan and said if he sang "Sweetness and Starlight" I could hold my phone up for her to hear it. Well, he didn't sing it. So when we joined the small crowd getting pictures and whatnot I called her and asked him to sing it to her over the phone. He got all shy and took the phone down the sidewalk a little bit, but he did it! He told her he gets embarrassed when people ask him to sing acapella. It was awesome!

It was a super exciting night, great stuff. I'll post soon about a cause that they have been working on and give you the information on how they are trying to help those less fortunate, right now I have a bunch of stuff to do and am quickly losing the ability to keep my eyes open as I do so.

I'm so happy, I'll be having wonderful dreams tonight!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallin' asleep
To the sound of stars
Shooting 'round the moon
But I can't watch them fly tonight, baby
I'm too busy watchin' you.

I guess your smile is the sun's way
Of lighting up what's dark
So shine, shine, shine for me baby
It only takes a spark

Sweetness in starlight
Sweetness 'til day sighs
Sweetness in starlight
Sweetness 'til sun rise
-- from "Sweetness in Starlight" - Matt Wertz

No comments: