Friday, November 9, 2007

Strawberry Fields Forever!

I did, in fact, go to see Across the Universe by myself last night. I'm out of town tonight and tomorrow morning and figured I should make sure I saw it before it left the theatres. I've never gone to a movie by myself and I'm a little proud of myself for taking that little step. I can't say I've ever been what you would call a loner so doing things all by myself is something that scares me a bit as I didn't think it could be very fun or rewarding, but it's not that bad.

It was a fantastic film, truly wonderful. I've got a penchant for pretty much anything about that era-- and a movie jam packed with nothing but music from the Beatles? How could you pass that up? The use of the songs is close to perfection, the way it's matched lyrically and rhythmically to what's going on in the scene is fantastic. The story is also realistically charged with the feeling and ideas of the time, which is really carried out by the actors. It's the Beatles, it's trippy, it's got love, it's got politics, it's got me planning to shell out money for the soundtrack and the DVD when it comes out.


I feel a bit strange saying I want to get the soundtrack because, well, technically I already have it. I mean, all those songs are on the Beatles albums (However, I checked my iTunes list and somehow I only put Abbey Road and The White Album on there so I'll have to find the other ones we have and upload them lickity-split). But the soundtrack puts all those songs I want together with the covers from the movie (that were really good), following the whole movie storyline...you know how it is. With the soundtrack I'm more relating to scenes in the film and not singing along with the legends while I feel grateful that the Beatles were at one time in existence to put together such awesome music.

It's funny, sometimes you need a reminder as to why you love something and why it's so good. The movie was independently a really great work of art and also jogged my memory as to why that's some of my favourite music. But in the end, isn't that what most great art does?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody else feel like time is going by a lot faster than usual? -- me, just now when I looked at the time...

3 comments:

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne said...

Ahaha, okay I'm embarrassed. Yours truly CANNOT multitask on 4 hours of sleep. *guilty look*

Sorry about that previous comment, yipes!

That's awesome you went to the movies solo, props. I love it when something well-done makes me re-appreciate something I already love. The recent example for myself that I can think of is how seeing Becoming Jane made me fall in love with Jane Austen's work again.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to see this movie forever since I saw the previews months and months ago! I did download the soundtrack though and I love it!