Saturday, November 17, 2007

parent day

Tentative plans to frolic and play did not work out. However, some of us are plotting for picnic/frolic/photo/guitar time for the afternoon tomorrow...

Instead, I hung out with my parents today. That is not a bad thing (because I haven't done it in awhile and I get free stuff). We went to see Beowulf, in 3D(!). That's right, 3D(!) baby.

I was never a fan of the story itself, so I was pretty nonplussed by the movie. I was really only there because pops was paying and there wasn't anything else I was more interested in seeing, along with the 3D(!) thing. However, it was pretty well done and I really want to buy the song that Idina Menzel (oh-how-I-love-her) recorded for the soundtrack.

The theatre that we go to is right next to this discount bookstore that has some kind of magnetic field that my family is in no way immune to, so we ended up in there after the movie. We got a bunch of books and there were plenty more that we had trouble keeping our hands off of. I even swindled my dad into putting a couple of mine on his tab. All together we spent maybe fifty dollars on over a hundred dollars worth of books (and two CDs). Books are like crack to my family, we're always trying to find more room for our books. And once we seem to have fit them all in (which, actually, I'm not sure that has ever happened), more books arrive and we have to hunt down a home for them. Which explains this exchange in the bookstore:

Mom (as she see the four or five books in my hands) "Whoa."
Me (with that "what?" look on my face) "This is not my fault."
Mom "That's true..."

After that we went to dinner, and that's not really special at all. But it was kind of nice to chill with my parents (and get a little free food). I did feel bad when the drink I ordered came to the table and it was really big, I mean huge. Then when the check showed up the price wasn't any less shocking. I felt bad...especially because I'm not entirely sure it was worth it.

That's about it, I'm not very interesting today. I had to default to the "what I did today" post since most of the stuff I'm planning to write about is still coming together in my head.

I'm just so fully committed to this NaBloPoMo thing. More than half-way I've got to keep going, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the "what I did today post" is really interesting and reveals more about you that you think...

Anonymous said...

Although the movie audience looked like a Buddy Holly look-alike contest, I had a good time, how 'bout you? And I just read an article at newsweek.com about a new electronic book that Amazon.com is marketing. It's called a Kindle and it looks and acts like a regular book but can hold up to 160 individual texts. Booyah! Now us biblioholics can get an electronic fix.

Alexis said...

I do not like that idea, a book should be a book.

Katelin said...

I didn't know Idina did a song on there, I love her! And glad to hear the movie was good, I have mixed feelings.